Leath and Ross Homeopathic Chemists
March 07, 2010
Leath and Ross were the first manufacturers of homeopathic medicines in Britain. James Leath (?1805-1884) began to publish homeopathic literature in 1831. Frederick Ross (?-?) joined him in 1855, and Leath and Ross Homeopathic Chemists, wholesale and retail outlet for books, remedies, remedy cases and associated products in Britian and across the World, became Chemists by Appointment to the London Homeopathic Hospital.
Frederick Ross was the President of the Homeopathic Pharmaceutical Society, and James Leath established his publishing company 1835, and together, James and Frederick operated at 5 St. Paul’s Churchyard, London, 19 Holles Street W (entry dated 25.7.1893 but then crossed out in Swedenborg Archive Address Book of James John Garth Wilkinson ‘Where is it’ dated 1.10.1892), and at 9 Vere Street, London, and at 58 Duke Street, Grosvenor Sqaure, London, and by 1917 the firm was located at 317 High Road, Brondesbury, London, and at 295 High Road, Brondesbury, London, NW6. Leath and Ross were still operating in 1941!
In 1843, James Leath’s publication of the 16 page essay __Homeopathy Explained and Objections Answered written by William Laidler Leaf had sold so many copies, The Medical Times felt the need to come out to censor it!
Leath and Ross are listed in James John Garth Wilkinson’s address book at 9 Vere Street, Oxford Street (Swedenborg Archive Address Book of James John Garth Wilkinson dated 1895).
James Leath’s Obituary is in The British Homeopathic Review, Volume 28 in 1884,
Leath and Ross published Homeopathy Explained and Objections Answered, Plain directions for the treatment of common complaints and homeopathic…, The treatment of common complaints by simple drugs homeopathically prepared, and homeopathic medical directory, A Summary of the Principles of Homeopathy, and they also published The British Journal of Homeopathy Volume 1, the first writings on homeopathy in Britain by William Laidler Leaf, and Paul Francois Curie, including the Materia Medica Pura edited by Charles Julius Hempel, and a very great many of the early books on homeopathy printed in Britain,