David William Witton 1788 - 1856
March 07, 2010
David William Witton ?1788 - ?1856 was a London Merchant of the firm D W Witton and Co, Vice Chairman of the Baptist Missionary Society West African Company, a Trustee of the London Homeopathic Hospital, and a Steward at the Annual Festival in aid of the funds of the Charity, and in commemoration of the opening of the London Homeopathic Hospital in 1851,
Witton apparently knew Lajos Kossuth, from his travels in Hungary,
Witton lived at 2 Crosby Square, London, and at Church Street, Edmonton, and at Cambridge Terrace, Edgeware Road, and at Great St. Helens and Belle View House Richmond,
The West African Company was based at Levant House, St. Helens Place, London, was one of the primary agents in the development of Fernado Po between 1836 and 1843, and was primary involved with the resettlement of freed slaved from the West Indies in Africa,
After abolishing their slave trade, from 1827 to 1843 the British leased bases at Port Clarence (modern Malabo) and San Carlos (on Fernando Po) for their anti-slavery patrols. In March 1843, Juan Jose Lerena planted the Spanish flag in Malabo, ending British influence on the island.
D W Witton and Co operated at 63, Fenchurch Street, and at 13 Camomile Street, partners David William Witton and John George Lacy,hardwaremen and gun makers, who supplied carbines to the British government,
The Annual Festival in aid of the funds of the Charity, and in commemoration of the opening of the London Homeopathic Hospital established in London, will be held at the Albion Tavern, Aldersgate street, on Thursday, the 10th of April 1851, the anniversary of the birth of Samuel Hahnemann:
Henry Charles FitzRoy Somerset 8th Duke of Beaufort in the chair.
STEWARDS: Henry William Paget Marquess of Anglesey, George Stanhope 6th Earl of Chesterfield, Arthur Algernon Capell 6th Earl of Essex, John Robert Townshend 1st Earl Sydney, John Gray 15th Lord Gray, Arthur de Vere Capell Viscount Malden, Francis Arthur Gordon, Lord Clarence Paget, Lord Alfred Paget, Culling Charles Smith, Marmaduke Blake Sampson, Frederick Hervey Foster Quin, Nathaniel Barton, J. Askew, Henry Banister, Henry Bateman 1806-1880, Capt. Branford, F Blake, Hugh Cameron, Captain Chapman, H Cholmondeley, John Burgh Crampern, Edward Cromwell Disbrowe, W. Dutton, Edward Esdaile, W. M. Fache, Fr. Fuller, H Goez, John Gosnell, George Hallett, Edward Hamilton, J Huggins, P Hughes, John Peake Knight, Joseph Kidd, Thomas Robinson Leadam, Thomas Mackern, Victor Massol, J Mayne, Jas Bell Metcalfe, C T P Metcalfe, Samuel Thomas Partridge, T Piper, W Piper, R Pope, Henry Reynolds, Albert Robinson, Henry Rosher, C J Sanders, W Scorer, Rittson Southall, T Spicer, J Smith, Charles Snewin, Charles Trueman, Thomas Uwins, W. Watkins, J Wisewould, D W Witton, Stephen Yeldham, J G Young,
The responsibility of Stewards is limited to the dinner ticket, 21s., and gentlemen who will kindly undertake the office are respectfully requested to forward their names to any of the Stewards; or to the Hon. Secretary at the Hospital. 32. Golden-square. Ralph Buchan, Hon. Sec.