Charles William Bury 2nd Earl of Charleville 1801 - 1851
September 17, 2009
**Charles William Bury 2nd Earl of Charleville **1801 - 1851 was an Irish Peer who was an enthusiastic advocate of homeopathy,
Charleville was a friend of Frederick Hervey Foster Quin, and Alfred Guillaume Gabriel d’Orsay (who drew his picture, see above, and see his wife Harriett Charlotte Beaujolais, Countess of Charleville , (Engraved by Edward Finden from an original portrait by John Hayter).
[Styled Lord Tullamore until he succeeded to the earldom in 1835, he was placed as an M.P. for his family’s seat of Carlow, Ireland, from
- Carlow ceased to be a pocket borough after the 1832 Reform Act, so Lord Tullamore’s father](http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/mss/online/biographies/biog-pages/earl2-charleville.phtml), Charles William Bury 1st Earl of Charleville 1764 - 1835, funded expensive election campaigns in order to maintain Tullamore as a member of the House of Commons.
He failed to win the King’s County seat in the general election in December 1832 (the successful candidates were Lord Oxmantown and Nicholas Fitzsimon), but was elected as M.P. for Penryn in Cornwall.
In 1838, having succeeded as 2nd Earl of Charleville, he was elected as a Representative Peer of Ireland to sit in the British House of Lords. The Earl had married Harriet Beaujolais, née Crawford, in 1821. She brought no fortune to the marriage. The Earl’s estates were heavily indebted, and the economic crisis in Ireland in the mid-1840s led to him selling many of his estates and leaving the country for Berlin in 1844.
[Charles William Bury, 2nd Earl of Charleville was born on 29 April
He died on 14 July 1851 at age 50.
Charles William Bury, 2nd Earl of Charleville lived at Charleville (Castle) Forest. He was educated between 1814 and 1819 at Eton College, Eton, Berkshire, England. He held the office of Sheriff of King’s County in 1825. He held the office of Member of Parliament (M.P.) (Tory) for Carlow between 1826 and 1832. He held the office of Member of Parliament (M.P.) (Tory) for Penryn and Falmouth between 1832 and 1835.
He held the office of Lord of the Bedchamber from 1834 to 1835. He succeeded to the title of 2nd Earl of Charleville on 31 October 1835. He succeeded to the title of 2nd Viscount Charleville of Charleville Forest, in King’s County on 31 October 1835. He succeeded to the title of 2nd Baron Tullamore of Charleville Forest, in King’s County on 31 October 1835. He held the office of Representative Peer [Ireland] between 1838 and 1851.
Children of Charles William Bury, 2nd Earl of Charleville and Harriet Charlotte Beaujolais Campbell: Lady Beaujolois Eleanora Catherine Bury d. 9 Jul 1903, Charles William George Bury, 3rd Earl of Charleville b. 8 Mar 1822, d. 19 Jan 1859, Hon. John James Bury b. 22 Oct 1827, d. 18 Jan 1864, Alfred Bury, 5th Earl of Charleville b. 19 Feb 1829, d. 26 Jun 1875
Our story begins after the plantation of James 1 (c1620’s) when lands of the O’Molloy’s was distributed to Sir John Moore. John Moore lived in Croghan and it wasn’t until c.1700 that the Moores decided to lease Croghan and live on their Tullamore property.
John Moore, married in 1697, and built a large house in O’ Carroll St (Henry St). John Moore became the first lord of Tullamore in 1716. It is in this same year that we see the development of a barracks in the town. He was succeeded by his son Charles who became the 1st Earl of Charleville in 1757.
1st Earl of Charleville Charles, the 1st, moved from the family home at O’Carroll Street to Redwood, later known as Brookfield, and then Charleville. Charles had no family (his death meant the loss of the title Earl) and his lands passed to his nephew, John, son of his sister Jane and William Bury of Co. Limerick.
John Bury was drowned in a swimming accident in 1764. His son Charles William Bury in 1785 (coincidently the same year as the Great Balloon Fire) inherited over 23,000 acres and became the Earl of Charleville, 2nd creation.
1st Earl of Charleville - second creation It is this Charles William Bury who is responsible for the coming of the Canal, Charleville Castle, the Courthouse, and the Gaol. It was through these works that Tullamore was to become the county town of Co. Offaly in 1833.
Charles William Bury, 1st Earl, married Lady Catherine Maria Tisdall in 1798 and had a son Charles William. 2nd Earl of Charleville Charles William, 2nd Earl, married Lady Harriet Charlotte Beaujolais in 1821. It was Lady Charlotte who was responsible for the wonderful designs which went into Charleville Castle interior. They had two sons, Charles, 3rd Earl, and Alfred.
3rd Earl of Charleville Charles, 3rd Earl, married Lady Arabella and had three children, Lady Emily, Lady Katherine and Charles, 4th Earl. 4th / 5th Earl of Charleville Charles, 4th Earl, died without issue and passed the lands to his Uncle Alfred, 5th Earl, as mentioned above.
After the death of Alfred, the lands passed to Lady Emily, his niece (above). With the death of Alfred, 5th Earl, the title became extinct. Howard Bury Lady Emily married Capt. Kenneth Howard in 1881, Capt Howard assumed the additional Surname Bury. Lady Emily and Capt Howard Bury had two children, Col Charles Howard Bury and Lady Marjorie.
It is this Col Howard Bury who is of fame for his reconnaissance expedition to Everest in 1921. Col Howard Bury inherited Charleville estate but had no family of his own. On his death in 1963 he passed the estate to his cousin, Major William Bacon Hutton.
Hutton Bury Lady Katherine married Col Edmund Bacon Hutton in 1873 and had children, one of whom a son William. Major William Bacon Hutton on the death of Col Howard Bury, assumed the surname Bury by deed poll in 1964.
Major William married Bly in 1940 and their son David Hutton Bury is the owner of Charleville Estate today.