William Warne 1801 - 1884
June 18, 2009
William Warne Senior 1801? - 1884 was a Patron and the Secretary of the Hahnemann Hospital at 39 Bloomsbury Square. Warne was also on the Committee of the English Homeopathic Association, and Honorary Secretary to the London Homeopathic Medical Institution.
William Warne was a Patron and the Secretary of the Hahnemann Hospital at 39 Bloomsbury Square in 1850, and knew the Staff of the Hahnemann Hospital at 39 Bloomsbury Square which included John Anderson, Christian Karl Josias Bunsen, James Chapman, Edward Charles Chepmell, Paul Francois Curie, Robert Ellis Dudgeon, Thomas Engall, Joseph Hands, Sydney Hanson, Robert Hamilton, Amos Henriques, Charles Hunt, Henry Kelsall, Joseph Laurie, Henry Victor Malan, James John Garth Wilkinson, David Wilson, William Leaf, George Wyld, Thomas Egerton 2nd Earl of Wilton, Robert Grosvenor, Thomas Roupell Everest, Charles Powell Leslie, James More Molyneux, David Wilson, William Henry Ashurst, William Thomas Berger, W A Case, J M Douglas, G H Flatcher, John Fowler, Joseph Glover, Thomas Higgs, T H Johnstone, John Miller, Chas Pasley, Mathias Roth, Frederick Sandoz, W Stephenson, Samuel Sugden, Allan Templeton, Major Tyndale, A Wilkinson, S Wilson and many others.
William Warne lived at 9 Gresham Street West, Tottenham.
William Warne was also an inventor and patent holder for innovations in the development of the Steam Engine. William Warne filed for his first patent in 1853, and in 1854, William Warne filed for a patent in the improvement of tubular steam boilers. At this time, William Warne lived at Lower Blowing House, St. Austel, Cornwall.
Warne was granted a patent in 1857 for the manufacture of ‘deckle straps’. At this time, he lived in Tottenham. In 1859, William Warne was granted another patent for ‘ferrous cement packing’. At this time, his company operated from 9 Gresham Street West, Tottenham. William Warne and Co were expanding very fast.
William Warne Senior died in 1884, leaving three sons, Frederick W Warne, William Henry Warne, and ?
William Warne and Co Ltd were India rubber manufacturers in Tottenham, and today, the company still exists, renamed as Icon Polymer Group by William Henry Warne in 1864, and as William Warne & Co Ltd, Plastics & Rubber, India Rubber Mills, Gascoigne Road, Barking IG11 7LL.
In 1848, William Henry Warne - 1859, son of Wiliam Warne Senior, became the assistant of George Routledge, a 15 year old youth who would grow up to become his brother in law. George Routledge married Elizabeth Warne, The daughter of Wiliam Warne Senior.
In 1852 the firm, then styled Routledge & Co, removed to 2 Farringdon Street.
In 1856, Warne and Co (Frederick Warne and Co) brought up some of the stock of Knight and Son, booksellers of Clerkenwell Close. Warne and Co (Frederick Warne and Co) had become major book publishers and sellers, and Frederick W Warne and William Henry Warne were in partnership together.
In 1923, Frederick Warne and Co was based at 29 Gresham Street.
Frederick Warne and Co were the publishers of Matthew Arnold, Walter Crane, Edward Lear, Kate Greenaway, and Beatrix Potter (who was engaged to Frederick Warne’s son Norman Dalziel Warne before his untimely death in 1905 from pernicious anaemia).
He was born in 1868, and was educated at Charterhouse. Subsequently he went into the well known publishing business at Chandos House, Bedford Street, of which his father, Mr. Frederick Warne, was the head.
On the retirement of the latter in 1895, Mr. N. D. Warne, together with two elder brothers, became partners in the firm.
As a student of natural history he was perhaps more especially attached to the Lepidoptera, and most of his somewhat limited leisure was devoted to active work in the field.
He was elected a member of the South London Entomological and Natural History Society in 1888, and althoughhe was not able to attend the meetings, during the past two years or so, as frequently as he wished, he always took a keen interest in the welfare of the Society, and was a generous contributor to its library. He was also a member of the Quekett Microscopical Club.