The Royal London Homeopathic Hospital
October 11, 2008
The Royal London Homeopathic Hospital (now called the Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine (RLHIM)) established at 32 Golden Square on 10.10.1849, was founded by the British Homeopathic Association and the British Homeopathic Society under Frederick Hervey Foster Quin (and many others) and officially opened on 10.4.1850, the anniversary of Samuel Hahnemann’s birthday, initially with fifty in patient beds.
The London Homeopathic hospital was built solely from contributions from homeopaths and the homeopathic community and at no point were any public monies used in its construction. The building was given to the NHS in 1948. The recent refurbishment of the hospital was paid for by a completely different part of the NHS budget than that used for clinical care, and as the Hospital building in Great Ormond Street houses three hospitals, the homeopathic hospital benefited from an overall renovation project.
The picture is of a Royal London Homeopathic Hospital nurse’s long service medal, and there is a large representation of this medal in the tiled floor of the main entrance.
Staff in post in 1849, when the hospital opened:
Vice Presidents: George Thomas Keppel 6th Earl of Albemarle, Archbishop of Dublin, Arthur Algernon Capell 6th Earl of Essex, Lord Francis Gordon MP, John Gray 15th Lord Gray, Charles Edmund Isham, Arthur Fitzgerald, 10th Lord Kinnaird, George Wyndham 1st Baron Leconfield, Arthur de Vere Capell Viscount Malden, Lord Clarence Paget MP, Lord George Paget MP, Frederick Hervey Foster Quin, Marmaduke Blake Sampson, John Robert Townshend 1st Earl Sydney, Henry Somerset, 7th Duke of Beaufort,
Auditors: James D Cuff, Henry Goez, Frederick Sandoz,
Management Board: Major General Sir James Edward Alexander, Nathaniel Barton, Richard Beamish, Captain Branford, Captain Chapman, John Broadhurst, G M Carpell, John Burgh Crampern, Edward Cromwell Disbrowe, W C Dutton, Alexander John Ellis, Edward Esdaile, Francis Fuller, W Garden, George Hallett, John Hill, Philip Hughes, John Peake Knight, \F Lascelles,* A St. John Mildmay, William Vaughan Morgan (Chairman), _Thomas Neatby_, George Newman, R H A Ogilvy, R Pope, R T Reep, Henry O Robinson, Henry Rosher, Culling Charles Smith, D Smith, Colonel Sir J Smith, Charles Snewin, Samuel Sugden, Thomas Uwins, _William Watkins_, H R Williams,
Collector: George Middleton
Medical Council: Guiseppe Belluomini, Hugh Cameron, J Say Clarke, James Goodshaw, Edward Hamilton, Sydney Hanson, George James Hilbers, James Vaughan Hughes, F W Irvine, David Griffiths Jones, Joseph Kidd, Thomas Robinson Leadam, J Lynch, Alfred Markwick, James Loftus Marsden, Victor Massol, Massy, William Henry Mayne, W McDonald, T McKern, George Newman, John Ozanne, Samuel Thomas Partridge, Frederick Hervey Foster Quin, John Hodgson Ramsbotham, Henry Reynolds, Raphael Roche, John Rutherford Russell, H Searl, *Robert Stark Tate, E Smith, Joshua Lambert Vardy, *Charles G Watson, W Watson, *William Henry Watts, Dionysius Wielobycki, Severin Wielobycki, Neville Wood, Stephen Yeldham, J G Young. With thanks to Peter Morrell and the Illustrated London News April 1858:
The supporters of homeopathy are now striving to establish a large metropolitan hospital, which shall be conducted according to the principles inculcated by Hahnemann, which will be a school for homeopathic students, and which will afford to allopathic physicians the means of inquiring into the merits of the new doctrine and practice.
A public dinner in aid of the building fund of this charity took place on Wednesday, April 21 at Willis’s Rooms, when the Duke of Beaufort, George Ponsonby O’Callaghan 2nd Viscount Lismore, Arthur de Vere Capell Viscount Malden, Henry Robinson Montagu 6th Baron Rokeby, Lord Grey de Wilton, Lord Cosmo Russell, Robert Grosvenor, Mr Truman MP, Major Blake, Edmund Gardiner Fishbourne, *H D Pritchard, Mr Sheriff Rutherford, Frederick Hervey Foster Quin, John Rutherford Russell, and about 150 other gentlemen, known as supporters and practitioners of homeopathy in the metropolis and in the provinces.
The usual toasts were given, viz– “The Queen;” “The Prince Consort and the Royal Family;” and “The Army and Navy,” responded to by Henry Robinson Montagu 6th Baron Rokeby and Edmund Gardiner Fishbourne, who alluded to their experience of the benefits personally derived by them from homeopathy during their service in the Niger expedition and in the Crimea.
The Chairman then proposed “Success to the London Homeopathic Hospital,” which was enthusiastically received. From the statement of the chairman it appeared that the institution was opened in 1850, at a house rented for that purpose in Golden Square, and had been removed, last October, to freehold premises in Great Ormond Street, WC, purchased for £5,000.
During its existence the hospital had, at an average expenditure of £1,000 a year, afforded relief to 23,000 sick persons, of whom nearly 1200 were in-patients. The returns of treatment were stated to prove the advantages of homeopathy.
Thus, while, according to the Registrar General, the rate of mortality in the allopathic metropolitan hospitals is 7.5 per cent, the deaths in the Homeopathic Hospital, including those from cholera, have not exceeded 4.6 per cent.
The premises recently purchased in Great Ormond Street are estimated to provide accommodation for almost 200 in-patients, and, when the necessary alterations are completed, there will be two accident wards, a ward for children, a theatre for a school of medicine, &c.
The estimated cost of these alterations, and of fittings and furniture, is £4,000, and contributions have been received which reduce the amount to £2,500. The total receipts since the opening of the hospital have amounted to £15,000; and the management had thus far not only defrayed current expenses, but had been enabled to purchase the new premises, besides investing £800 towards the formation of an endowment fund.
The chairman’s appeal was liberally responded to by the company, and contributions were announced amounting to £1,000—including 20 guineas from the chairman, 15 guineas from the Duke of Beaufort, £100 from Thomas Egerton 2nd Earl of Wilton, and £100 from Captain Felix V Smith. “The Memory of Hahnemann, the founder of homeopathy,” was proposed by John Rutherford Russell; “The health of the Duchess of Cambridge, the patroness of the hospital,” by the Duke of Beaumont; “The health of the Chairman,” by Frederick Hervey Foster Quin; “The Honorary Secretary, Ralph Buchan,” by the Duke of Beaufort. Several other toasts were given, and Arthur Wellesley 1st Duke of Wellington, on leaving the chair, was loudly cheered.
The musical arrangements were under the direction of Mr G Buckland, who was assisted by Messrs Lockey, Young and H Buckland. It may be added that there are homeopathic hospitals in Paris, Vienna, Berlin, Moscow, and St Petersburg.
In 1854, the London Homeopathic Hospital was turned over entirely to cholera victims. In the Cholera epidemic of 1854, 54,000 people died, the death rate under allopathic methods was 59.2% and only 16.4% under homeopathic treatment.
In 1855 a report on the treatment of cholera patients at the London Homeopathic Hospital was made to Parliament. The London Homeopathic Hospital report for that year reveals 3636 patients were treated, making a total of 18,002 patients treated since it opened in 1850.
Many homeopaths and supporters of homeopathy were involved in the London Homeopathic Hospital at this time, including Hugh Cameron, Francis Richard Charteris 10th Earl of Wemyss Lord Elcho, Captain Chapman, John Chapman, Edward Charles Chepmell, Jacob Dixon, George Napoleon Epps, John Epps, Washington Epps, Edward Hamilton, George Calvert Holland, Joseph Kidd, George Lade, Thomas Robinson Leadam, Charles Powell Leslie, Victor Massol, J Bell Metcalfe, Augustus Henry Moreton, Henry William Paget, Samuel Thomas Partridge, Alfred Crosby Pope, Henry Reynolds, Henry O Robinson, Marmaduke Blake Sampson, Thomas Uwins, David Wilson, Stephen Yeldham, and large numbers of the Aristocracy.
In 1858 a Festival in aid of the London Homeopathic Hospital was held with many Aristocratic and minor gentry patrons attending, alongside Dr. Ayerst, William Bayes, Hugh Cameron, Edward Charles Chepmell, William Vallancy Drury, George Napoleon Epps, Arthur Guinness, Edward Hamilton, Frantz Hartmann, Amos Henriques, Joseph Kidd, Thomas Robinson Leadam, J Bell Metcalfe, Frederick Hervey Foster Quin, Henry Reynolds, John Rutherford Russell, Charles Caulfield Tuckey, George Wyld, Stephen Yeldham, and many others.
In 1859, Edward Gardiner Gould (1842-?1921) dispenser of the London Homœopathic Hospital. Was his father Edward Gould (?-?) a porter at this hospital?
In 1859, the hospital outgrew its building, so Frederick Hervey Foster Quin purchased three houses in Great Ormond Street, one of which had been the headquarters of the antislavery campaign, and these were converted at a cost of £15,000.
This hospital building was in use for thirty six years and saw 250,000 patients. The staff of this new hospital included Francis Henry Bodman, David Dyce Brown, George Henry Burford, H A Clifton Harris, John Moorhead Byres Moir, James Compton Burnett, John Henry Clarke, Arthur Crowden Clifton, Robert Thomas Cooper, William Vallancy Drury, Robert Ellis Dudgeon, Washington Epps, Robert Douglas Hale, Richard Hughes, Edwin Awdas Neatby, and Charles Edwin Wheeler and many others.
In 1861, the London Homeopathic Hospital had 200 beds (Anon, Documents accompanying the Journal of the House of Representatives of the State of Michigan at the Biennial Session of 1861, (The State of Michigan, 1861). Multiple pages) and 27.086 patients had been seen since its inception (Sampson Low, The charities of London in 1861: Comprising an account of the operations, resources, and general conditions of the charitable, educational, and religious institutions of London, (S. Low, son, & co., 1862). Page 11).
In 1868, William Budd was a Collector at the Hospital, Rev. John Rogers 1805? - 1868? MA Oxford and London 1833, was the Chaplain of the London Homeopathic Hospital in 1868, Rev. John Rogers wrote The Psalms in Hebrew in 1834,
In 1878, Hugh Lupus Grosvenor 1st Duke of Westminster became Vice President of the hospital,
About 1880 John Henry Clarke was a consultant at the London Homeopathic Hospital, alongside George Mann Carfrae, Arthur Crowden Clifton, Edith Neild, Thomas Eadie Purdom, Charles Thomas Knox Shaw, John Rutherford Russell and David MacNish. Charles Lloyd Tuckey was Assistant Physician to the London Homeopathic Hospital at this time. Gerard Smith was Orthopaedic Surgeon at the hospital at this time,
In 1883, Apollinaris Victor Jagielski was appointed as a Governor,
In 1890, William Vaughan Morgan proposed major improvements to the hospital,
From http://www.homeoint.org/morrell/londonhh/grormon2.htm William Vaughan Morgan Treasurer 1875-1889. Chairman of the Board of Management 1888 to his death in 1892 (See the website of Homeopathe International by Peter Morrell and Sylvain Cazalet).
William Vaughan Morgan suggested at the 39th Annual General Meeting the desirability of pulling down the old Great Ormond Street Hospital and building the present modern Hospital, and contributed £ 3,000 to the Building Fund.
This increase, without exaggeration by leaps and bounds, naturally entailed a corresponding increase in the cost of maintenance. The expenditure for the first year in Golden Square was £600; while that for the years 1855-59 was nearly £500 per mouth, or about £6,000 per annum. (The expenditure for last year, 1913, in the present enlarged hospital of 163 beds, was £13,359).
The building, as it was then, had been adapted from three very old houses, and was, after all that had been done for it in the way of reconstruction and sanitation, very antiquated, as compared with the more modern hospital buildings of that time. Large sums had been spent upon it, a constant outlay for repairs being necessary to maintain it in working order.
In the year 1890 the Board, under the chairman ship of William Vaughan Morgan, decided that a special effort should be made to provide a building more suitable for the work of the Hospital and worthy of the science of Homeopathy. Accordingly some of the best friends of the hospital were approached.
A generous lady, Miss J. Durning Smith, who had for many years munificently supported the Hospital, signified her intention to contribute the sum of £10,000 under the pseudonym of “A Friend well known to the Hospital.”
William Vaughan Morgan himself contributed £3,000. A nobleman, who desired to be anonymous, promised £2,000, James Epps gave £2,000, Miss Barton and Miss Isabella Barton £1,000 each and Colonel James Clifton Brown, £1,000.
In 1892, Mrs. Brew was Lady Superintendent at the London Homeopathic Hospital (Mrs. Brew is listed in Swedenborg Archive Address Book of James John Garth Wilkinson ‘Where is it’ dated 1.10.1892).
In 1893, Mary Adelaide of Cambridge Duchess of Teck laid the foundation stone for the new extension at the London Homeopathic Hospital, designed by architect William Alfred Pite, and in 1895, she opened the new extension of 100 beds at the London Homeopathic Hospital.
In 1894 - *James Edward Liddiard was a Physician at the Hospital,
In 1903 - Octavia Margaret Sophia Lewin read a paper by James Tyler Kent from America, bringing about a revolution in homeopathy which influenced Octavia Margaret Sophia Lewin’s successors, Marjorie Blackie and Margaret Lucy Tyler.
1906 photo of the hospital
In 1908, Enriqueta Augustina Rylands left £5000 to the hospital in her will,
In 1908, Robert Henryson Caird was prominent on the Board of Management of the London Homeopathic Hospital in Great Ormond Street since 1904. Robert Henryson Caird became Chairman of the hospital’s House Committee from 1908, and supervised the building of the new wing and nurses’ home in the years that followed.
Henry Shackleton was also a physician at the hospital at this time (his son Ernest Henry Shackleton’s Antarctic expedition of 1914 to 1916 on the Endurance, and Ernest Henry Shackleton’s open boat the James Caird, was funded by James Key Caird 1st Baronet).
Henry Whatley Tyler was interested in homeopathy and contributed large sums of money for the expansion of the London Homeopathic Hospital. His daughter Margaret Lucy Tyler was a student of James Tyler Kent and became one of the most influential homeopaths of all time.
”When her father, the late Henry Whatley Tyler, gave the Tyler Wing to the London Homeopathic Hospital, he told her “I have done my part: now you must do yours.” [Margaret Lucy Tyler: An Appreciation John Weir, in Homeopathy 1943]
The Chariman of the House Committee of the London Homeopathic Hospital since 1908, and a Member of the Board of Management since 1904. Chairman of the Building Committee for the building of the Sir Henry Tyler Wing and the New Nurses Home, 1908-1911.
When the new London Homeopathic Hospital was designed and rebuilt in 1895 it was arranged that a further wing facing west to Queen Square could be added at any time when it might be required.
In 1908 it was found that the building was totally inadequate to the demands made upon it, and, indeed, for two or tree years the usefulness of its work had been greatly hampered by the lack of space.
The extension of the London Homeopathic Hospital building on the adjoining freehold ground, including the Queen’s Head public house, which by this date had been purchased for the purpose, was now very forcibly impressed upon the Board of Management.
That there was now very forcibly impressed upon the Board of Management. That there was an urgent need for enlargement was only too apparent when serious cases frequently had to be refused admission because there was no room to receive them.
In one small section only of the In patients, nine women each waited over three months, and eight others waited over six months for admission. The present London Homeopathic Hospital Building has now been in use for sixteen years, 1895 - 1911, and during the last eight years in the old building in Great Ormond Street the In-patients totaled: 1887 to 1895 ….. 5,680 In the next two periods of eight years in the present building the In patient had increased to: 1895 to 1902 ….. 8,150 In patients 1903 to 1911 ….. 8,699.
After much consideration the Board decided to enlarge the London Homeopathic Hospital, and with a view to starting an extension fund to build a new West Wing to the existing London Homeopathic Hospital, Henry Whatley Tyler, as already mentioned, contributed £10,000, the late Mrs. Rylands £5,000 (Enriqueta Augustina Rylands), Lord Dysart £2,000, the late Captain Cundy, Vice Chairman of the board, £1,000, C.M. £1,000, and with the assistance of many other warm friends and supporters of the London Homeopathic Hospital, the sum of £47,000 was soon raised for the purpose.
The President of the British Homeopathic Society Harold Wynne Thomas, the President of the previous British Homeopathic Congress James Johnstone, together with the Vice President of the International Homeopathic Council George Henry Burford, met by arrangement the Chairman of the London Homeopathic Hospital, Robert Henryson Caird to consider the necessary preliminaries.
Their consultation issued in the nomination of a Provisional Committee constituted by representatives of the principal homeopathic activities in Great Britain, and the publication of a statement of the case, with an appeal for funds to those favourably inclined to the work.
Thus did the leaders of British Homeopathy lead, and the response of the English speaking homeopaths the world over was immediate and maintained.
Fortified by this support, the Provisional Committee nominated two Commissioners Ethelbert Petrie Hoyle and David MacNish to proceed to France to confer with the military authorities there, as well as with the principal homeopathic physicians in Paris.
As the issue of this investigation, the Committee decided to work under the auspices of the French Red Cross Society, and to internationalism as far as possible, the interest it was desirable to arouse of homeopathic supporters in this special procedure.
In 1911, further extensions and additions were made to the London Homeopathic Hospital, including a nurses’ home. Queen Mary led the fundraising for this project, and the current Patron, George Wyatt Truscott laid the Foundation stone of the Henry Tyler Wing at this time.
Maryanne (“Minna”) Brew, who was a Matron at the London Homeopathic Hospital for many years died in 1913.
In the 1900s to the 1930s, Eugene Cronin, John Roberson Day, Gilbert Hare, Geoffrey Hahnemann Hayle, Ethelbert Petrie Hoyle, William Percy Purdom, George Scriven, Thomas George Stonham, were Consultants at the hospital at this time. The Hospital also benefited from lectures by external professionals including Allan Broman,
The Annual Reports list the teaching staff, many of whom are recognised for their contributions to the development of homeopathy. Donald MacDonald Foubister lectured on Children’s Diseases, as did Kathleen Priestman (who was President of the MSM between 1981 and 1991); Alva Benjamin taught on skin diseases, Charles Edwin Wheeler, John MacKillop and Muriel Francis Adams on general medicine; William Eldon Tucker and Philip Norman Cutner on surgery and H Dodd, who was the vascular surgeon and later became President of MSM in 1952. N E Gillham taught dentistry and J N LeRossignol chiropody.
Three doctors on the teaching staff were later appointed Royal physicians: John Weir, Marjorie Grace Blackie and Ronald W Davey. Llewelyn Ralph Twentyman remains the doyen of them all, surviving to tell the tale of the lectures often given in the Hospital Board Room, which were much enjoyed by everyone.
In World War II, the London Homeopathic Hospital suffered extensive bomb damage, the hospital staff won four George Medals during this time. Also during this time, homeopathic refugees Otto Leeser and Erich Kurt Ledermann fled Europe to join the staff at the London Homeopathic Hospital.
In 1943, Agnes Moncrieff, c.1902 - 1948, born Scotland, MB ChB Glas 1926, FFHom 1943, lived Hendon, London, Honorary Physician Diseases of Children, London Homeopathic Hospital,
In 1945, John MacKillop converted to homeopath and began a course of study in the bombed out buildings. Despite the state of its infrastructure, the London Homeopathic Hospital admitted and treated many hundreds of patients.
At this time, many famous homeopaths worked at the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital, including Edward Bach, Ardeshir Kavasji Boman Behram, Douglas Morris Borland, John Henry Clarke, Andrew Tocher Cunningham, Donald MacDonald Foubister, Clarence Granville Hey, James Douglas Kenyon, Thomas Maughan, William Burnett Douglas Miller, Elizabeth Paterson, John Paterson, Kathleen Gordon Priestman, Percival George Quinton, William Wilson Rorke, William Lees Templeton, Margaret Lucy Tyler, John Weir, Charles Edwin Wheeler, Harold Fergie Woods, \Charles Yarrow Eccles*, and Dudley d’Auvergne Wright. Charles Baudemprez, Marc Cassette, Fournon, Pol Henry, Edouard Schepens, were teaching at the hospital at this time.
1958_ - the homeopathic hospitals are the main (?only) recruiting and entry point for British Medical graduates at this time..._
Many famous people became Trustees of the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital at this time, including John Bertram Leslie Ainsworth, *Kenneth Biddis, Marjorie Blackie, Douglas Morris Borland, Adrian Cedric Boult, Carl Davies, Dudley Wooton Everitt, Donald MacDonald Foubister, George MacLeod, Douglas Medlicott Gibson, Yehudi Menuhin, John Weir, **G R Rogers **ACCS was the Treasurer of the London Homeopathic Hospital in 1964,
In 1960, Sir Colville Herbert Sanford Barclay 14th Baronet 1913 – 2010 (a British naval officer, painter and botanist whose career spanned amphibious landings and commando operations off the coast of France during the Second World War, having his paintings exhibited at the Royal Academy, publishing reference works about the flora of Crete and taking commissions to obtain plant samples from across the world for the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew) became an advocate of homeopathic medicine and spent forty years on the board of the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital.
In 1968, the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital initiated one of the earliest cook-chill catering units in Britain. There were many benefactors of the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital at this time, including Sergei William Kadleigh,
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_European_Airways_Flight_548 On 18.6.1972, the Trident Airliner carrying 16 staff of the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital, including Isabel Campbell, Marjorie Golomb, (Sisters) Kawther Theresa Kandalla and Ludi Maylone Kandalla, Sergei William Kadleigh, Joan Mackover, John Robertson Raeside, Mary Stevenson, and Elizabeth Somerville Stewart and her husband Thomas Fergus Stewart from the Glasgow Homeopathic Hospital), and Elizabeth Sharp Hawthorn 1918-1972, crashed at Staines near Heathrow on its way to the International Homeopathic League in Brussells, and as a result of this devastating blow, the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital lost its independance, suffered the closure of the operating theatre, the surgical, childrens and geriatric wards, and the number of in patient beds fell to 25.
1970s - *Kenneth Biddis, was a Trustee of the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital, Nevertheless, the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital saw new innovation during the 1990s with the pioneering work of Ralph Twentyman, Anthony Campbell, Michael Jenkins and Jesse Dickson Mabon.
From http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11624495 Int Hist Nurs J. 2000 Spring;5(2):20-7. Nurse education at the London Homeopathic Hospital 1903-1947: preparation for professional specialists or marginalised Cinderellas? Lorenzton M. Imperial College School of Medicine, London, UK. 2000 - Nurse education at the London Homeopathic Hospital 1903-1947: preparation for professional specialists or marginalised Cinderellas? Lorenzton M. Imperial College School of Medicine, London, UK. Int Hist Nurs J. 2000 Spring;5(2):20-7. This paper provides a summarised account of research in progress on Nurses’ Registers from the London Homeopathic Hospital, 1903-1947. The particular question addressed in this paper relates to nurses role in homeopathy at the hospital during the above period, as it emerges from the registers. Comparison with nursing at the hospital in the 1990s is provided by reference to a research report by Clara Harris, who conducted research on contemporary nurses’ role at the hospital. The role of nurses is seen in the context of the uneasy relationship between homeopathic and orthodox doctors. Research on the Nurses’ Registers forms part of a larger project concerning the history of the London Homeopathic Hospital from 1889 till 1947. The first phase of the research, conducted jointly by Bernard Leary (a homeopathic doctor) and Anna Bosanquet (a social scientist) and author (1993-95), and funded by the Wellcome Trust, related to analysis of 300 volumes of clinical patient notes (approximately 60,000 individual records) from the period 1889-1923, which were found in the hospital basement by the domestic services manager in 1992. Phase 2 of this research project is being undertaken by the author without funding and was commenced in 1996. Nurses’ Registers from the period 1903-1947 were analysed in detail, recording a wide range of information about student nurses at the hospital during this period. Data from the 1903-1947 registers will be compared with information collected by Clara Harris in a project funded by the old North East Thames Regional Health Authority in 1922. The role of nurses in the nineteenth century and at the present time will be seen in the context of medical homeopathic practice, and the relevant research by Nicholls is referred to briefly. It is important to stress that the discussion relates to homeopathic nursing, not to nurses who have left their nursing posts to become ‘lay’ homeopaths (the title used by homeopathic doctors for all non-medical homeopathic practitioners).
In 2002, the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital was extensively refurbished at a cost of £18.5 million, and it is now part of the University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (UCLH). The medical record archives were all safely stored in the London Metropolitan Archive ‘… We also hold the records including patients’ case books of the Royal London _](https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/visiting-the-city/archives-and-city-history/london-metropolitan-archives/Documents/visitor-information/34-hospital-records.pdf) [_Homoeopathic Hospital opened in 1850 by Dr Frederick Hervey Quinn… (See London Metropolitan Archives Information Leaflet Number 34 Hospital records Published December 2010 by London Metropolitan Archives, 40 Northampton Road. London EC1R OHB)’
From 16.9.2010, the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital changed its name to the Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine (RLHIM) to better reflect the developing services now available at the hospital.
*Kenneth Biddis 1935? – was a Trustee of the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital, George MacLeod and Ken Biddis, two members of only a handful of veterinary surgeons who continued to practice Homeopathy before its revival during the late 70s…. Kenneth Biddis wrote Homeopathy in Veterinary Practice with George MacLeod,
*Wilfred St. George Grantham Hill ?1872 - ?1951, MD Brussels, LRCP London, MRCS England, LSA, was an Australian orthodox physician, Member of the Victoria Institute or Philosophical Society of Great Britain, who converted to homeopathy , to become an Anaesthetist and Resident Physician at the London Homeopathic Hospital, Wilfred Grantham Hill also practiced at 49, High Road, Chiswick, London W4, He was born in Maryborough, Queensland, the son of Stanley Grantham Grantham Hill, born in Douglas Isle of Man in 1843, and Marietta, daughter of Frederick Charles Nott of Germany,
*James Edward Liddiard ?1863 - ?1923, FRGS, was a British orthodox physician, Member of the Royal Geographical Society, Member of the London Missionary Society, Member of the Royal Commonwealth Society, Member of the British Association for the Advancement of Science, who converted to homeopathy to become Physician at the London Homeopathic Hospital, Physician at the Folkestone Homeopathic Dispensary, Liddiard lived at Rosemont, North Finchley North, and at Rodborough Grange, Westcliffe Road, Bournemouth West,
*Thomas Neatby was the Manager of the Rotherham Brass Foundry, who wrote for the Journal of Biblical Literature, with Special Reference to Prophetic Truth Edited by E W Bullinger,
*H D Pritchard was High Bailiff of Southwark,
*Robert Stark Tate 1818 - 1880 LSA London 1841, MRCS England 1846,was a British orthodox physician, Member of the Royal College of Surgeons England, who converted to homeopathy to become Surgeon to the Sunderland Homeopathic Dispensary, Surgeon at the London Homeopathic Hospital, Member of the British Homeopathic Society, Robert Stark Tate practiced at 1 Bennett Place, Blackheath, and at 20, St. John’s Street, Sunderland,
*William Watkins was a British Clerk at the firm of Watkins and Hooper, Solicitors to The Dukes of Beaufort, William Watkins was a Trustee and on the Management Committee at the London Homeopathic Hospital, William Watkins was employed at 11, Sackville Street,
*Charles G Watson LRCS Ireland 1859, KQCP Ireland, HBHS, was a British orthodox physician, Medical Officer for the Caledonian Fire and Life Assurance Company, who converted to homeopathy to become a Surgeon at the London Homeopathic Hospital, Charles G Watson practiced at 2 Holland Terrace, Kensington, and at 35 Moorgate,
*William Henry Watts MRCS England 1857, MBHS, was a British orthodox physician, Medical Officer at the General Lying in Hospital in London, who converted to homeopathy to become a Surgeon at the London Homeopathic Hospital, Medical Officer for the Caledonian Fire and Life Insurance Company, Member of the British Homeopathic Society, William Henry Watts practiced in Brighton, and at 7 Westbourne Place, Bishops Road, and at 10 Park End, Sydenham, William Henry Watts was active in homeopathic politics, and he attended the dinner in honour of Frederick Hervey Foster Quin in 1861, William Henry Watts wrote A New and Comprehensive System of Materia Medica and Therapeutics, a supplementary repertory for Charles Julius Hempel’s System of Materia Medica,
*Charles Yarrow Eccles ?1889 - ?1985 LRCP London 1916, MRCS England, MBBS London 1920, RNVR 1916 - 1919 and 1939 - 1945, MFHom 1943, was a British orthodox physician, Member of the Hampstead Medical Society, who converted to homeopathy, Homeopathic Physician St. Thomas’, Assistant Physician London Homeopathic Hospital, Charles Yarrow Eccles also practiced at Appletrees, Barcombe, Nr. Lewes, Sussex, and he retired to 4 Hawthorn Close. Haughton. Stafford, ST18 9HG,