The Gilbert Surname and Homeopathy
April 26, 2008
The Gilbert surname has given us ten jobbing homeopaths; a Professor of a Homeopathy College; a United States Examining Surgeon, member of the Board of Censors of Detroit Homœopathic College, Coroner of Bay County and President of the Advisory Board of Pardons and President of the Saginaw Valley Homœopathic Medical Society; another Coroner of Bay County; the editor and publisher of the Homeopathic Times_; _and a Professor of Clinical Medicine in the Homœopathic Medical College of Missouri.
B Gilbert homeopath in Washington DC in 1893
Charles Badger Gilbert mentioned in the History of the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1898
of New York city, is a native of that city, born September 30, 1848, son of Hugh S. and Sarah M. Gilbert, on the paternal side a descendant of Sir Humphrey Gilbert of England, and on the maternal side he is in part of French extraction.
Dr. Gilbert acquired his earlier education in New York, and graduated from Public School No. 35 during the principalship of Thomas Hunter, and his higher education in the College of the City of New York ; he was educated in medicine at the New York Homœopathic Medical College, from which he graduated in 1870, and he also attended upon two courses at Bellevue Medical College.
Since he came to his degree Dr. Gilbert has practiced in New York city, where he is a well known figure in professional circles. He is a member of the American Institute of Homœopathy, the New York County Homœopathic Medical Society, the Manhattan Club, and of Atlas Lodge, F. & A. M. Dr. Gilbert has been twice married.
Cleora Gilbert listed in the Directory of Homeopathic Physicians 1925
E A Gilbert Professor of a homeopathy College in 1858
George B Gilbert homeopath in Washington DC in 1912
Harry Gilbert listed in the Directory of Homeopathic Physicians 1925
Harvey Gilbert of Bay City Michigan, New York Homeopathic Medical College, New York City. 1874; aged 73; at one time Coroner of Bay County…
Irwin B Gilbert listed in the Directory of Homeopathic Physicians 1925 and mentioned in the History of the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1898.
James Banks Gilbert a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New York in 1842 and Georgia’s homeopathic physician pioneer and partner of Francis Hodgson Orme and W H Banks. James Banks Gilbert was editor and publisher of the Homeopathic Times alongside Egbert Guernsey and A K Hills.
of Bay City, Michigan, was born in Ontario, March 7, 1842, son of Peter and Hannah (Collard) Gilbert, and is of English descent. He obtained his early education in the common schools, and later attended the English grammar school at Ingersoll, Ontario.
He studied for his profession in the Cleveland Homœopathic Medical College, receiving his degree of M. D. in 1871, and in the same year passed the examination of the medical board in Canada.
Dr. Gilbert’s first field of practice was in Lynedoch, Norfolk county, Ontario, where he remained four years, and in 1875 he removed to Michigan, locating at Otsego Lake. He lived there seven years and in 1882 he removed to Bay City, his present place of residence.
From 1876 to 1882 Dr. Gilbert was United States Examining Surgeon, and is now a member of the Board of Censors of Detroit Homœopathic College. From 1878 to 1882 he was Treasurer of Otsego County, Michigan ; 1883-1885, Coroner of Bay County ; 1894-1898, was member of the Advisory Board of Pardons and President of the Board for two years.
He is a member of the Republican State Central Committee, member of the Board of Control in the Home for the Feeble-Minded and Epileptic Michigan, and since 1902 has been President of the Board.
He has been a member of the Board of Education of West Bay City eight years. Dr. Gilbert holds membership in the Michigan Republican Club, and is the first President of the Saginaw Valley Homœopathic Medical Society.
December 20, 1875, he married Jennie E. Louks of Lynedoch. Their children are : Mabel A., Maud E., Mollie M. and Nelson Ross Gilbert.
Samuel T Gilbert mentioned in the History of the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1898
of St. Louis, Missouri, was born in Sangamon county, Illinois, November 11, 1876, son of William B. and Susan (Baldwin) Gilbert. He attended the graded and high schools of Arlington, Kansas, being graduated from the latter in 1893, and studied medicine with Dr. I. B. Julian of Arlington as preceptor.
He entered the Homœopathic Medical College of Missouri in 1895, from which he was graduated with M. D. degree in 1898. In 1897 practiced in Bluff City, Kansas, under certificate from the state board, while since 1898 he has been a general practitioner of St. Louis.
He pursued a post-graduate course in the St. Louis College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1902. He has been Professor of Clinical Medicine in the Homœopathic Medical College of Missouri since 1900, was Lecturer on Pathology in that College in 1899-00, and Resident Physician of St. Louis Children’s Hospital in 1899-00.
He holds membership in the American Institute of Homœopathy, the Missouri Institute of Homœopathy, the St. Louis Homœopathic Society, the Children’s Hospital alumni association and the Masonic fraternity.
He was married, June 4, 1901, to May Gilman.