Marshall Orlando Terry and Homeopathy
April 10, 2008
**Marshall Orlando Terry **was President of the Homœopathic Medical Society of the State of New York and Surgeon-in-Chief of the Utica Homœopathic Hospital. He was appointed Surgeon-General of the State of New York by Levi Parsons Morton.
of Utica, New York, was born in Wateryliet Centre, Albany county, New York, son of William Henry and Sarah (Burke) Terry, of English and Prussian ancestry, respectively.
He was educated in the common schools, the academy and high school of Ashtabula, Ohio, which included a scientific course, and entered the Cleveland Homœopathic Hospital College, graduating in 1872.
He pursued special courses in the New York Ophthalmic and Aural Institute, the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, the Manhattan Eye and Ear Infirmary, Bellevue Hospital, in diagnosis, also surgery, and received special instruction under Professor Charles Heitzmann in microscopy, histology, pathology ; and urinary analysis.
He devoted two winters to hospital study in New York City. He is a member of the surgical staff of the General Hospital, Utica, Surgeon-in-Chief of the Utica Homœopathic Hospital, and of the Commercial Travelers’ Mutual Accident Association of America.
He is an honorary member of the Massachusetts Surgical and Gynecological Society, a member of the state, county, and national medical organizations, and in 1886 was President of the Homœopathic Medical Society of the State of New York.
On March 18, 1880, Dr. Terry was appointed by Governor Cornell Major of fourth brigade, National Guard of New York ; by Governor Morton, January 1, 1895, Surgeon-General of the State of New York, and was re-appointed by Governor Black, January 1, 1897, thus serving four years.
He was appointed by President Grover Cleveland United States Pension Surgeon for the Utica district, and was president of the board. He was offered the position of chief surgeon of division during the Spanish-American war by the late President William McKinley, but declined owing to his duties as surgeon general.
He is a member of the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States, President of the Association of Military Surgeons of the National Guard and of the Naval Militia of the State of New York.
General Terry was instrumental in substituting, a new medical and surgical outfit for the national guard, on modern lines. The “Terry” stretcher, named by Adjutant General McAlpin for its originality, has a mechanically adjustable pillow.
The field case, the first devised for the guard since the war of the rebellion, was named “Terry Field Case” by General Tillinghast. The chest for regiments, recognized as one of the best, is called the “New York medical and surgical chest.” His inspection of southern camps during Hispano-American war led to an investigation by the government.
Governor-elect Morton appointmed homeopath Marshall Orlando Terry to Surgeon General in 1894. Levi Parsons Morton was a Representative from New York and the twenty-second Vice President of the United States under James A Garfield.