John Romig 1804 - 1885
February 12, 2008
John Romig (1804 - 1885) was an orthodox doctor who converted to homeopathy and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1833 and the Hahnemann Medical College in 1851 (?check date). John Romig was one of the original members of the Northampton Homeopathic Medical Faculty alongside Constantine Hering. John became a pioneer of homeopathy in Pennsylvania and a founder and faculty member of The Allentown Academy.
John Romig also founded the Homeopathic Society of Northampton and Counties Adjacent in 1834.
Organized August 23, 1834, the society was formed by Drs. William Wesselhoeft, John Eberhard Freytag, John Romig, Joseph Hyppolyte Pulte, Adolphus Bauer, J C Gosewich, Gustav Reichhelm, (and four ministers), King, and Rev. Christian J. Becker, D. D.
The object of the association was the advancement of homeopathy amongst its members and spread of the Law of Similia.
In 1835, together with Drs. Henry Detweiller, William Wesselhoeft, George Hering Bute and John Romig, Constantine Hering founded in Allentown the North American Academy of the Homoeopathic Healing Art. Dr. Hering became the first President and principal instructor. This was the first Homoeopathic School in the world.
Having received the degree of M. D. at the University of Pennsylvania in 1825, he commenced to practice the same year in the town of Fogelsville, Lehigh county, Pa.
In the spring of 1820 he removed to Allentown, forming a partnership with Dr. Charles H. Martin. In 1833 he commenced the practice of Homoeopathy and was one of the original members of the Homoeopathic Medical Society of Northampton and adjacent counties.
He was one of the three who formulated the establishment of the Allentown Academy and was a member of the faculty. He was vice-president of the Board of Trustees and was professor of obstetrics in the college.
In the fall of 1838 he removed to Baltimore with other practitioners of repute to introduce Homoeopathy. Dr. Haynel and McManus were then in homoeopathic practice in that city.
His stay was but two years, when he returned to Allentown, where he passed the rest of his life. He was an active temperance advocate since 1842 and was one of the Sons of Temperance, Division 7 of Allentown.
From 1836 he was active and devoted member of the Presbyterian church, also an elder for a number of years. He had two sons, William H. and George M. Romig, also physicians, graduates of the University of Pennsylvania and of the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania, and who were his co-partners.
The Hahnemann Monthly thus notices his death :
John Romig M. D., of Allentown, Pa., died in the early part of February, 1885, having survived his son, the late W. H. Romig, M. D.. but a very brief period. Dr. Romig, the subject of this brief notice was born in Lehigh county, Pa., January 3, 1804, his grand father having emigrated to America from Germany in 1732.
Graduating at the University of Pennsylvania in 1825, he settles at Fogelsville, Lehigh county, but in 1829 removed to Allentown.
His conversion to Homeopathy occurred about 1833 from which time he was closely identified with the distinguished homoeopathic physicians of that period - Constantine Hering, Henry Detweiller, William Wesselhoeft, and others, and united with them in organizing the old Hahnemannian Society, and in founding the North American Academy of the Homoeopathic Healing Art.
Of this institution he was vice-president and also professor of obstetrics from 1838, a period of two years was spent in Baltimore, whence he returned to Allentown in 1840.
Dr. Romig was an active member of the Presbyterian church and a zealous advocate of the cause of temperance. His death removes another of the very few remaining founders of our school in America.
William Henry Romig (1804 - 1885) was the son of John Romig and he graduated from the Hahnemann Medical College in Philadelphia in 1871, as did his brother George M Romig (1845 - 1925). Both his sons practiced alongside their father as homeopaths.
With thanks to Wayne Aderhold’s emails 22.11.16 and 24.11.16:** Joseph Romig (1872- 1951)** ‘… was born in 1872 in Illinois, attended Hahnemann in Philadelphia (paid for by the Moravian church who put him through med school) & graduating in 1896, then on to Alaska to pay off the church through 7 yrs of missionary work. Besides running around the Bethel area on dog sled, he eventually set up hospitals in Dillingham, Seward, Fairbanks and Anchorage… He died in 1951 in Colorado Springs, CO … but his remains were disinterred at some point and returned to Anchorage to be buried in a family plot…’ Joseph Romig ‘… was known as the “dog team doctor” for his work in the Bethel area starting in 1896… Joseph Romig practiced in Alaska (not continuously, but mostly) past 1939 and founded a number of hospitals, and also served as mayor of Anchorage. He was known as the “dean of Alaskan doctors” so would have had a lot of influence over the profession… His youngest son (Howard G.) was born in 1911, attended Stanford medical school and went into private practice with his father in Anchorage for a while, and died in Anchorage in 1987…’ (Eva G. Anderson, “Dog-Team Doctor”, (The Caxton Printers, Ltd, Caldwell, Idaho, 1940).