John Richardson Andrews and Purnell W Andrews and Homeopathy
January 21, 2008
Purnell W Andrews and his father John Richardson Andrews were both homeopaths. John was an orthodox doctor who converted to homeopathy, becoming the first homeopath in Camden, and a founding member and vice president of the New Jersey Branch of the American Institute of Homeopathy. His son Purnell took over his father’s practice with Henry F. Hunt.
Purnell… was born in Camden NJ around 1848, the son of Dr. John Richardson Andrews and his wife Catharine. His father was the first homeopathic physician to set up a practice in Camden, and was a founding member and chairman of the first homeopathic society in New Jersey, the New Jersey Branch of the American Institute of Homeopathy, which was organized at Mount Holly, July 20, 1846.
Dr. John Richardson Andrews died in 1864, at the young age of 46.
Dr. Henry F. Hunt was called on to take over Dr. J.R. Andrews’ practice. His son, Purnell W. Andrews, studied medicine under Dr. Hunt before going on to graduate from the Homeopathic Medical College of Philadelphia in 1867,
At the time of the 1880 census, Dr. Purnell W. Andrews resided at 329 Market Street. His two younger brothers, Richardson, 27, and William, 22 lived there, as did younger sister Kate Andrews, 18. The two brothers worked as hatters. Dr. Andrews was still at 329 Market Street as late as 1891. He later married, and with wife Louisa had a son, Purnell W. Andrews Jr.
Dr. Andrews was a general practitioner, and kept an office at 327 Market Street, adjacent to his home. He was affiliated with the Camden Homeopathic Hospital, which later evolved into West Jersey Hospital. He was a member of the New Jersey State and West Jersey Homeopathic Societies, and the American Institute of Homeopathy.
Dr. Purnell W. Andrews died on June 4, 1912. He was buried at Evergreen Cemetery in Camden NJ.